Tuesday, May 5, 2009


This Sunday we celebrate someone who is very close to our hearts, our mothers. The memories of our mother's love and the traditions that we have developed over the years will blend to create another special day to honor the one person we owe so much.


I have collected these framed poems that hold such vintage charm. There are several themes for these sentiments, but the most common ones are 'Mother'.





I always look for these when I go to flea markets and antique malls. They are usually inexpensive.





One of the things I like about them are the frames themselves. Old, wooden, usually kind of loose at the corners and the print held in by nails. Why is it that these old things seem so familiar? I think it reminds me of my grandma's house.







I found this unusual mother's day wallpocket, which is another of my favorite collectibles.




This is my favorite picture of my mother and me when I was a baby. It was taken at my grandparents house which my grandfather built himself. We lived with them until I was 18 months old because my dad was in Korea. I had a very loving beginning here. I still have so many memories of this house.





This weekend I couldn't resist picking up this sweet little planter. It will go with my ever growing collection.



Remember my blue Fire King bowls from last week's post? I think I am having some kind of a lucky spell lately because I found this set of Harvest Ballerina refrigerator bowls very inexpensively. They were all bought seperately.


I discovered the small one first for just $4. I knew there was a big one because I'd seen it at another flea market. The hunt was on. My reward, all three for just $16.



My mother likes to go to garage sales, although she can't do it as much as she used to. I may have gotten that from her. She says things like, "I don't have room for it" or "I don't need it." I Didn't get that from her. The many things that we learn and inherite from our mothers make us the people we are today. Being a mother is the most important thing in my life and I am so lucky that I have two of the best kids ever!

Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mothers! Twyla

17 comments:

Christy Amular said...

Beautiful collections, so sublime. I just love the tenderness of sweetly displayed items like that.

Anonymous said...

I love those Mother pictures, too. They do remind me of older homes from when I was a child.Looks like you did well this weekend - the wall pocket and bowls are beautiful!
Blessings, Sarita

Pearl said...

Hi Twyla...
Such a Sweet Tribute to your Mom and to honor Mother's Day... the photo of you with your Mom is just Precious. Like yourself, I too think of my Grandma's home whenever I see one of those Vintage framed poems... Your collection is impressive... I'm so happy that you found another set of bowls that you Love! And the newest addition to your Baby Planters collection is Darling ~swoons~ There's something very peaceful about Baby Planters, isn't there?!
I hope you've been doing well, and I'm sending along wishes for a Beautiful week for you!

~hugs 'n prayers~
Pearl

Faye said...

Oh how beautiful!I love all the pics.Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

Anonymous said...

Twyla, I think it's wonderful that you always have more room for the things you love and that make you feel happy! ♥

Stacey said...

You have such great collections. Just imagine the sweet memories your kids will have of collecting with you. They seem to enjoy it as much as you do! I think that's very neat.

Linda Lou said...

Love the photos...and the sentiments....my Mom is no longer with us...but I have nice memories...and wonder what did I inherit from you that makes me who I am! Happy Mother's Day Twyla.

Heidi Ann said...

I love your collections! Those framed sentiments are one of my favorite things, too. I don't find them very often, but I get so excited when I do! (Well- I see them at antiques shops all the time- but they are never reasonably priced). My favorite of yours is the first one you showed- but you could have probably guessed that!

Happy@Home said...

What a sweet post in honor of Mother's Day. I love the picture of you with your Mom. So sweet. I like your collection of poems honoring Mother. I have one that I bought at an antique store once. When the saleslady asked me who it was for I said I'm buying it for my boys to give to me for Mother's Day. She liked that idea and even gift wrapped it. Well, that's one way to be sure you get something you'll like :-)

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Twyla
I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful Mother's Day treasures. Mother's Day in England is called Mothering Sunday and it's in March.
I wish you a lovely day on Sunday.
Lindsay

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Twyla,
Yes, our Mom's shape our lives more than we know:) and that is a sweet photo of you and your Mom.
Happy Mother's Day to You.
Warmly,
Deb

Unknown said...

Hi Twyla! Lovely sentiment for Mother's Day! The baby carriage planter is cute, too! I love your Tuesday posts! :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the art about mothers. What a wonderful collection! Happy Mother's day to you, sweet friend!

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Twyla. We have come to love the relationship between you and Lindsey through your blog. You truly are blessed! Elizabeth

KatCollects said...

I love the picture of you and your Mom, so sweet. I always love to see what treasures you find. I hope you have a good week!
Hugs,
Kathy

Mrs.Kwitty said...

What a beautiful post! I miss my Mom so much, especially at this time of year. I love your collection of Mom poems and collectibles, that wall pocket in particular. I just got a lovely framed Mom vintage poem from my SIL last weekend, I'll have to take a pic and post it for you to see. Love the pic of you and your Mom...so sweet!
Smiles, Karen

Sherry said...

Have a wonderful Mother's Day Twyla!

Sherry